Pallet racks are an important component of storage – they are used to keep warehouses and storage areas neat and well organized. Because they come in so many different types it is important to know exactly what to look for when you are buying them. Your choice will determine not just how well your items are stored but also how safe they are. Before you buy pallet racks consider the following:
What will you be storing on them?
The heavier the items you want to store the stronger you pallet racks have to be. If you will be storing very heavy items it is important that you consider pallets that have diagonal or horizontal braces. These are usually installed within the columns of the pallet rack enabling them to bear extra weight.
Think about how high you want to stack them
Pallet rack stacking is done to save on storage space. The smaller the area you want to work with the higher you have to stack. If you will be stacking them more than a meter or two off the floor you should buy pallets that have a wide base to avoid toppling over.
Weight distribution is also important
It is usually determined by the construction of the pallet as well as the rack’s capacity. There are some that are constructed to hold as much as 40,000 pounds but if you choose these you have to bear in mind that the weight should be distributed evenly in order to avoid accidents.
Think about the material that the pallet rack is made of
Although many different materials are used to make pallet racks not all of them are as reliable. If you want racks that will last for years then you should buy steel ones. If you think that your pallets will need to be moved from time to time buy those that are made of strong plastic and aren’t too heavy.
While most pallet racks are designed to be safe there are often accidents in warehouses because if human error. If you want to maintain a safe storage area there are certain things that you should ensure. Remember, all your employees must follow the rules to avoid injury.
- Any damage to a pallet or pallet component must be reported immediately. Damaged pallet racks can cause very serious accidents should they break.
- Climbing on pallet racks is extremely dangerous. They are not designed to support human weight and getting onto them usually causes them to lose their center of gravity. To retrieve items only forklifts should be used.
- Pallet racks should be placed out of the way of regular human and forklift traffic. To be safe make sure that they are several meters off aisles.
- If a pallet rack is damaged it is important that it be removed and replaced immediately.
- Do not stack more weight on a pallet rack than the stated capacity. They usually come with a sticker that sates how much weight they can hold.
- Lastly, do pallet rack inspection on a regular basis to make sure that everything is in order.
Use these tips to buy pallet racks and also to ensure that everyone who works in your warehouse is safe.